On and off the Las Vegas Strip, you’ll find activities for groups that take the edge off the summer heat. For an unforgettable experience beyond the casinos and meeting rooms, try one of these:
1. Jeep tours of Red Rock Canyon. Red Rock Canyon is a striking contrast to the Strip, and just 17 miles away. Jeep tours of the 13-mile scenic drive (enclosed and air conditioned in summer and top-down in spring and fall) are extremely popular, says Tom Kostoff, CMP, president of local DMC Sofisticado. “Meeting planners looking for an excursion often think of Hoover Dam or the Grand Canyon, but that can take up a lot of time.” he says. “This is the perfect fit because you can do it in half a day.” The ideal group size is 40 to 60 people.
2. Rock scrambling. In this unique teambuilding activity, guides lead groups over, between and through huge boulder formations, rough terrain and steep slopes. “The ideal group size is 6 to 8 people,” says Neil Sobelson of Hike This!, which is licensed to provide guides in Red Rock Canyon. The average age of hikers is between 30 and 45, he says, “though it’s not to say that people in their 50s couldn’t do it.”
3. Poolside event at Wet Republic. Located adjacent to MGM Grand’s main pool area, this 53,000-sf complex is a combination of pool party and nightclub, with intimate spaces for mingling and an exclusive vibe.
4. High Roller experience. Attendees can experience Vegas from high above the Strip—550 feet high, to be exact. The observation wheel is the focal point the new LINQ entertainment district. Up to 40 people can fit into in each of the 28 enclosed, air-conditioned pods.
5. Cool off at Minus5. With locations at Mandalay Bay and Monte Carlo, this venue is ideal for sizzling summer days. Attendees don fur coats and gloves to sip signature cocktails served in glasses carved out of ice—at -5 degrees Celsius. There are semi-private rooms for groups and a variety of options including carving an ice sculpture of the company’s logo or product as the evening’s centerpiece. The Ice Bar at Monte Carlo can accommodate 80 guests, while Mandalay Bay can host 160.