Despite COVID, many new hotels and renovations have made their debut in the last quarter of 2020 and in early 2021. Check them out.
There’s a slate of new hotels, as well as major renovations ready to welcome meeting groups.
1. The Joseph, Nashville—This new Luxury Collection hotel is located steps from Nashville’s Music City Center and the Nashville Symphony. The 297-room hotel features more than 1,000 pieces from The Pizzuti Collection, one of world’s leading collections of contemporary art, and private, signature experiences such as a bespoke boot designing session with premier leathery Lucchese in their VIP design studio. The Joseph’s culinary program is led by James Beard Award-winning chef Tony Mantuano and wine and hospitality expert Cathy Mantuano, who aim to bring la bella figura, Italy’s beautiful way of living, to The Joseph’s dining and events. For example, every week, guests can experience “King of Cheese,” the ceremonial cutting of a perfectly aged, 80-pound wheel of Parmigiano-Reggiano, and share an aperitivo with the couple.
2. Virgin Nashville—Virgin Hotels, the lifestyle brand developed by Sir Richard Branson, recently opened in Nashville with 262 rooms, multiple food and beverage options, the brand’s signature Commons Club, and a rooftop lounge with a pool. “We’re thrilled to officially open our doors in the Music City,” said Raul Leal, CEO of Virgin Hotels. “We’ve taken measures above and beyond our standards to ensure our guests will feel comfortable, safe and well taken care of while still maintaining the quintessential experience travelers know and love.”
3. Grand Hyatt, Nashville—A game-changing project in Nashville is Nashville Yards and the development includes this 25-story Grand Hyatt. This new downtown district is anchored by Amazon’s office campus and an entertainment district similar to L.A. Live. It boasts 77,000 sf of state-of-the-art event and pre-function space, and 591 rooms, including 53 suites, all with soundproof floor-to-ceiling windows.
4. Galt House Hotel—The legendary Galt House Hotel in Louisville is soon to complete a property-wide $80 million renovation. In March 2020, it completed and overhaul of the West Tower, including 130,000 sf of meeting space, all 639 guest rooms, the lobby area and two of the hotel’s flagship restaurants. Slated completion of the East Tower and property-wide renovation is November of 2020.
5. Hyatt Centric Beale Street Memphis—Located on the corner of Memphis’ Beale Street and Front Street, the new Hyatt Centric Beale Street Memphis is expected to open in March. Located a 15-minute drive from Memphis International Airport, this property is located near Downtown Memphis. The 227 guest rooms, including 12 suites, feature oversized windows with views of the Memphis skyline and the Mississippi River. For events and meeting spaces, the property features 9,000 sf of flexible space. The meeting space can accommodate up to 450 attendees for meetings, and up to 500 for receptions and social events. In addition, the Event Lawn offers 3,500 sf of outdoor space overlooking the Mississippi River and pool deck.
6. Virgin Hotels New Orleans is expected to open this summer in the Warehouse District. The new-build hotel will feature 230 guest rooms, the Common Club, a rooftop pool and lounge, a gym, and dedicated meeting and event spaces.
7. Grand Bohemian Hotel Greenville—Located in Greenville, S.C., the Grand Bohemian Hotel Greenville is set to open November 2021. The property is located at the entrance of Greenville’s Falls Park, where the Reedy River begins. The property will look like a traditional park lodge in order to preserve the nature of its surroundings. This 187-room and 30-suite property features balconies in many guest rooms, and will also feature Poseidon Spa, indoor and outdoor event spaces, and a 2-story restaurant and bar. There will be indoor meeting and pre-function space available for groups, as well as an outdoor lawn for special events.
8. The Don CeSar—The Don CeSar has unveiled its multi-million-dollar renovation, which includes a refresh of meeting spaces, guest rooms, a new pool bar and rooftop deck, a full-service restaurant, and the 71-room, all-suite Beach House Suites by The Don CeSar. The renovated guest rooms incorporate a beach-inspired aesthetic and blush tones reflective of the hotel facade’s signature pink.
9. Margaritaville Hotel Jacksonville—Margaritaville Hotel Jacksonville, the first Margaritaville property to open this year, offers meeting spaces for an array of events ranging from business meetings, to corporate events and everything in-between. The Seagrass Meeting Room offers 1,700 sf with room for 118 attendees. Plus, groups also have access to a business center.The 202-room oceanfront property, located near the Jacksonville Beach Amphitheater, offers panoramic views of the Atlantic Ocean or hotel grounds from private terraces and patios. Guest rooms include King and Double Queen rooms, plus Oceanview rooms and Oceanfront Suites with wraparound balconies. Attendees can enjoy dining at three Margaritaville–inspired venues with ocean views and outdoor seating. When it’s time to relax, groups can head for the pool or sit near one of the outdoor fire pits.
10. Disney’s Riviera Resort—Disney’s Riviera Resort opened in December, offering groups a Parisian-style coffee shop, Le Petit Cafe, which turns into a wine bar by night, as well as Primo Piatto serving up breakfast and lunch, and Topolino’s Terrace—Flavors of the Riviera, a signature dining venue with panoramic views of Walt Disney World, and featuring a poolside bar. On the outdoor terrace, groups can take up a game of bocce ball, giant chess, or lawn snooker. The new Disney Skyliner—a gondola transportation system—easily transports guests from Disney’s Riviera Resort to nearby resorts, Disney’s Hollywood Studios and EPCOT.
11. Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island—The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island, located in Northeast Florida, is currently undergoing a renovation, which will offer refreshed meeting and event spaces, upgraded rooms and suites, and three new restaurants. The resort’s 446 guest rooms and suites will be upgraded with Smart TVs, bedside charging stations, and redesigned living areas. Guest room bathrooms are also being renovated with dual vanities, enlarged showers, and suites offering free-standing bathtubs. Recently opened eateries include Coquina, an al fresco restaurant with a terrace lounge and ocean view bar; Salt a five-diamond dining venue; and Coast, offering local seafood.
12. Ridley House, Key West—Kimpton Key West, a collection of five boutique hotels located in and around Old Town and Duval Street. Is welcoming The Ridley House, set to open in March. Ridley House features 23 guest rooms spread across three historic homes—two Victorian and one Bahamian Eyebrow. Located in Key West’s Old Town, near Duval Street, Ridley House provides groups easy access to numerous water activities, as well as Key West’s nightlife. For group events, Kimpton Key West offers A Hemingway Affair, a private culinary experience available for small groups at the Lighthouse Hotel—recently opened in 2020 and located within walking distance. Parties of up to 14 guests can reserve this private dining experience in Hemingway Suite, which features a full kitchen where private chefs will cook a multi-course meal right in front of attendees.
13. The Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lakes—A $30 million renovation at the The Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lakes touches the guest rooms, pool and Club Lounge. The 582 guest rooms will feature a new design inspired by the natural beauty of the property’s grounds, with touches such as photographic images of natural movement and stillness on water, sand, and the wide-open skies above Florida. Following the completion of the guest rooms, the property will renovate its sprawling pool and cabanas and the luxe Ritz-Carton Club Lounge by March.
14. Luminary Hotel + Co., Fort Myers—The first Autograph hotel in the Fort Myers-Naples area, Luminary Hotel + Co. features 243 guest rooms and is home to the signature Silver King Ocean Brasserie, as well as the Beacon Social Drinkery rooftop lounge, Ella Mae’s Diner, The Workshop culinary theater, an indoor and outdoor fitness facility and a fourth-floor pool overlooking the Caloosahatchee River. The 12-story hotel has more than 8,000 sf of function space and is connected to the neighboring Caloosa Sound Convention Center & Amphitheater.
15. White Elephant Palm Beach—Opened in November in Palm Beach, the White Elephant is the second location of Nantucket’s well-known resort. Billed as a contemporary interpretation of Mediterranean-revival architecture, it retains the feeling of a stately home. Intimate receptions for up to 40 attendees can be held in the Palm Suite with a large open-plan living space and expansive terrace.
16. Ponte Vedra Inn & Club—Ponte Vedra Inn & Club has added 41 luxurious beachfront rooms and suites in the new Ocean House and Peyton House. The new offering is a modern-day interpretation of this iconic 1928 property. Its Ocean Course, one of Florida’s oldest, also has undergone a renovation, which was overseen by celebrated golf course architect Bobby Weed.
17. Kimpton Armory Hotel, Bozeman—In true Kimpton style, this 122-room property—its first in Big Sky Country—is located in a landmark National Guard Armory building, a fixture of the city skyline. It’s located near Yellowstone and offer numerous options for outdoor recreation. A highlight is the rooftop Sky Shed, a glass-enclosed restaurant with views of four different mountain ranges. Meeting spaces include a concert hall that can accommodate up to 600 people.
18. The Cloudveil, Jackson—Set to open spring 2021 on Jackson’s historic Town Square, The Cloudveil, an Autograph Collection hotel, will pay homage the town’s locale. Located at the gateway to Grand Teton National Park, and in the center of the town’s boutique shops, restaurants and galleries, The Cloudveil will have 100 guest rooms and suites; a bistro-style restaurant and bar; a rooftop terrace overlooking Jackson’s Town Square and Snow King Mountain; a tranquil outdoor pool and garden; and 7,500 sf of indoor-outdoor meeting and event space.
19. Miraval Berkshires Resort & Spa, Lenox—Massachusetts’ Berkshires region is known for its wellness retreats, being home to the famed Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health. The newest entry, the Miraval Berkshires Resort & Spa in Lenox, features healthy dining and cooking classes, horseback riding, yoga and outdoor fitness activities. And, of course, spa treatments of every description. Special touches in the guest rooms, from meditation cushions to Tibetan singing bowls, reinforce to guests daily that they are on a wellness journey—and this is not just any hotel.
20. Chatwal Lodge, Catskills—For the top-level incentive winner, the Chatwal Lodge, opening in May in the Catksill Mountains (90 minutes north of Manhattan), is the sister property of New York City’s Chatwal. Located on 30 acres with views of Toronto Reservoir Lake, it will feature “rustic luxe” appointments such as vaulted ceilings, reclaimed-wood walls and faux fur upholstery. Guest can choose from an organic, locally sourced menu and there is an intimate function space for groups.
21. Keswick Hall, Charlottesville—This spring will see the reopening of Keswick Hall in Charlottesville, Va. Built in 1912, the resort will reopen expanded and transformed, including a new guest wing that will increase the number of rooms to 80, re-imagined resort grounds overlooking the Blue Ridge Mountains, new infinity-edge dual-level pool with a waterfall and a new restaurant helmed by legendary Chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten.
22. LIVE! Casino & Hotel Philadelphia—Nestled in the heart of Philadelphia’s Stadium Entertainment District and spanning 1.5 million sq. ft., Live! Casino & Hotel Philadelphia made its debut in February. Live! offers groups 208 guest rooms, 11 dining outlets and multiple bars, and sprawling meeting and event space. ”Live! Casino & Hotel Philadelphia includes a luxury, 12-story, 208-room hotel, a variety of dining and entertainment options, and a six-room Event Center featuring 15,000 sq. ft. of customizable meeting space that can accommodate groups of 12 to 1,000 guests.
23. Delta Hotels Virginia Beach Bayfront Suites—Delta Hotels Virginia Beach Bayfront Suites will be the only hotel on the Chesapeake Bay with its own private beach. The hotel will be an all-suite property, with 295 spacious suites, many with bay views and balconies. The hotel will be home to a signature restaurant, Tin Cup Kitchen + Oyster Bar, which will serve fresh, locally sourced oysters, fish and coastal cuisine, along with craft cocktails. The property will have 12,257 sf of flexible indoor and outdoor event space.
24. Cambria Hotel Ocean City—The eight-story, 137-room Cambria Hotel Ocean City – Bayfront is just steps from the Boardwalk, as well as two classic amusement parks and beachside shopping Other features include a rooftop bar with ocean views. and outdoor recreational area with fire pits, guest rooms overlooking the Isle of Wight Bay, a fitness center and pools, and more than 2,400 sf of meeting and event space.
25. The Industrialist, Pittsburgh—Housed in the 18-story historic Arrott building, The Industrialist Hotel is one of the few boutique properties in downtown Pittsburgh. The hotel’s name, “The Industrialist,” honors the city’s legacy for A merican ingenuity while capturing the story of the new Industrialists who are reinventing Pittsburgh into what it is today. The hotel’s accommodations and amenities comprise 124 guestrooms, including 3 stylish suites, a vibrant lobby bar, fitness center and signature modern American restaurant, The Rebel Room. The Industrialist also features more than 1,200 square feet of multi-purpose event space for meetings and social events.
26. AC Hotel Washington D.C. Convention Center—The newly opened AC Hotel Washington D.C. Convention Center is a 13-story, 234-room hotel that had planned to house comvention-goers from the Walter E. Washington Convention Center. For now, that strategy has shifted to leisure travelers and “work-cation” customers—a new category consisting of people forced to work from home who need a break from their routines.
27. Lyle Washington D.C.—Lyle Washington D.C. is set to open in the Dupont Circle neighborhood in April 2021. The 196-room hotel features an onsite restaurant and bar, plus several meeting and event spaces. The guest rooms and Penthouse Suite feature Art Deco headboards and rattan seating, while the bathrooms offer D.S Durga amenities. Event spaces, such as The Private (240 sf), can accommodate private dinners—it features red tones on the walls, ceiling, and floor, and a custom black-and-white dining table. The Parlor (720 sf), located on the first floor, is a less formal space that can be used for meetings or private dinners for larger parties. The lower ground area offers several event and breakout room spaces that feature a more residential decor, rather than a traditional meeting space, for a more apartment-like feel.
28. Hotel Kansas City—The recently opened Hotel Kansas City is located in the iconic Kansas City Club building and the latest project from the Hyatt Unbound Collection. This boutique hotel has 144 Victorian-inspired guest rooms and a collection of event spaces that span a total of more than 20,000 sf including a 6,000 sf rooftop and the Tudor Ballroom with a stunning two-story stained glass mural.
29. Daxton Hotel, Birmingham, Mich.—Apraium Hotel Group’s 151-room Daxton Hotel is the vision of Mark Mitchell, a lifelong metro Detroit area resident who has pledged to create a hotel product in his local community that will set a new cultural standard for hospitality. The hotel’s “Minimalist-luxe” design will feature vibrant colors and 400 pieces of art. Each guest room will include at least two custom pieces of artwork from 160 artists representing 32 countries. The flagship restaurant Madam will feature enlightened American fare. A variety of meeting spaces can accommodate groups of up to 425.
30. Kinley Cincinnati Downtown—The new 94-room Kinley Cincinnati Downtown just opened in a historic building located between downtown and the Over-the-Rhine neighborhood. Part of Vision Hospitality Group, it includes stylish amenities such as custom-designed mattresses, rainfall showers and intuitive technology. The hotel partnered with Cincinnati Art Underground to curate a collection of local art, including a centerpiece mural in the lobby by Cincinnati-based artist Andrey Kozakov.
31. Pendry Chicago—This new landmark Chicago hotel opening in the spring of 2021 will be located in the renovated Art Deco-style Carbide & Carbon Building in The Loop. Featuring 364 guest rooms and suites, Pendry Chicago will feature a signature restaurant and bar concept overseen by hospitality and nightlife pioneer, Andy Masi, and his Clique Hospitality group, a spectacular rooftop lounge, 12,000 sf of meeting space, curated fitness and wellness offerings and much more.
32. Le Meridien St. Louis Clayton—The 268-room Le Meridien St. Louis Clayton hotel is now open after a multimillion dollar, full-scale transformation. The hotel features over 17,000 sf of meeting space, state-of-the-art fitness center with panoramic views of downtown St. Louis, open-air pool deck on the third floor, signature bar and restaurant, artwork from over 50 local and nationally acclaimed artists, and more.
33. Beeman Hotel, Dallas—The 297-room Beeman Hotel in Dallas just completed a $4 million, top-to-bottom renovation. Previously The Magnolia Hotel, it features an indoor pool with new outdoor area, new BBQ restaurant and 12,000 sf of meeting space.
34. Thompson Dallas—Located in the heart of downtown Dallas, the 219-room Thompson Dallas is part of a $460 million historic preservation—the largest adaptive reuse preservation in the history of Texas—that’s transformed the iconic building (formerly the First National Bank Tower) into a modern destination. There’s a dining space on its ninth floor deck that overlooks the city, as well as two restaurants, and the fourth floor National Ballroom has 14,000 sf of meeting space with private suites that overlook the space.
35. ADERO Scottsdale—ADERO Scottsdale, an Autograph Collection Hotel, has officially made its debut as Scottsdale’s first Dark Sky Zone resort, featuring elevated Sonoran Desert views of Arizona’s famed Four Peaks and McDowell Mountain Range. The 6-story resort features 177 guest rooms positioned to take in the panoramic mountain vistas. Sunrise Guest Rooms in the adult-only wing feature a fireplace in each room. The 800-sf ADERO Presidential Suite is located on the top floor with views in every direction.
36. Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek—Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek unveiled a complete re-imagination of its guest rooms, suites and lobby. Led by renowned interior designer Thomas Pheasant, the redesign celebrates the quintessential charm of the original estate, built in 1925. 142 new, expertly appointed accommodations include the 2,650 sf indoor-outdoor Penthouse. There’s also a new bright and airy entry rotunda and lobby living room and a specially curated art collection of 50 custom works.
37. Omni Oklahoma City—The Omni Oklahoma City Hotel has opened with 605 guest rooms 29 suites; 7 restaurants and a full-service Mokara Spa, right next door to the new Oklahoma City Convention Center and Chesapeake Energy Arena. The 17-story tower offers dramatic views of the 70-acre Scissortail Park and downtown skyline. There’s also 78,000 sf of flexible meeting, event and pre-function space.
38. Austin Proper—Austin Proper Hotel is housed within a contemporary 32-story high-rise and draws its inspiration from the area’s historic, Craftsman-style architecture. Upon entering the lobby, guests are greeted by an imposing wooden staircase covered in vintage carpets. The 244 rooms are defined by an eclectic mix of ceramics and artwork, with hardwood flooring and travertine sourced from Texan quarries. A fifth-floor rooftop pool deck is ideal for small receptions.
39. Canyon Madness Ranch, Roy, New Mexico—Canyon Madness Ranch will launch in April, set on 14,000 acres in northeastern New Mexico. Guests will be able to participate in equestrian pursuits and a range of wilderness activities, from archery to hiking to river kayaking. The intimate property accommodates just 16 guests, and is ideal for a corporate retreat. It luxurious main house, known as Teepee Lodge, features twin teepee-shaped peaks and two balconies cantilevered over the edge of the river 800 ft below. Attendees will be pampered with a menu featuring ranch-raised meats and farm vegetables.
40. Rally Hotel, Denver—Located in Denver, The Rally Hotel is expected to open in spring 2021. The new property, which is developed by the part owner of the Colorado Rockies baseball team, pays homage to its baseball roots as its name comes from a baseball superstition—the rally cap, where fans where their caps backwards or inside out as a talisman for their team to pull off a come-from-behind victory. The Rally features 176 guest rooms, including 29 suites, a rooftop pool and deck that overlooks Coors Field with views of the Rocky Mountains. The eighth floor will be known as the Mile High Floor and will feature a collection of rooms with an elevated design featuring dark woods and deep purples. And, the 21,000 sf of flexible meeting and event space can offer a range of boardrooms and ballrooms.
41. Hilton Santa Monica—Santa Monica is celebrating the opening of the chic Hilton Santa Monica, just a short walk from the pier. With 286 guest rooms and 211 of them suites, the property is billing itself as offering more suites—and the most spacious—than any other hotel in the area. Its design elements will reflect a sense of place with a custom, hand-painted mural by local Los Angeles-based artist collective, Hattas. The new hotel will offer 10,000 sf of flexible event space.
42. Pendry West Hollywood—The highly anticipated Pendry, the third in the collection and the new flagship, is located at the intersection of Sunset Boulevard and Olive Drive in the heart of the Sunset Strip. Groups will enjoy culinary concepts from Wolfgang Puck, a rooftop pool and bar, a live entertainment venue, and even a screening room and bowling alley. An especially nice touch is the curated art collection. Pendry West Hollywood has 149 guest rooms.
43. Fairmont Century Plaza—Century City’s iconic Century Plaza Hotel will reopen this spring as the Fairmont Century Plaza. Completely transformed by international design firm Yabu Pushelberg, it will feature 400 guest rooms, all with their own private balconies. James Beard Award-nominated Executive Chef Jason Franey will helm its signature restaurant, Lumière, a seasonal, modern American Brasserie.There will also be a 17th floor rooftop pool, a spa with its own Himalayan salt room, and 24,000 sf of private event space including one of the largest ballrooms in Los Angeles with seating for 1,500 attendees.
44. Westin Anaheim—Situated in the heart of the Anaheim Resort District abutting Disney California Adventure Park, the Westin Anaheim is set to open in March, with a steakhouse and Mexican restaurant, outdoor pool and rooftop bar. There will be 48,000 sf of meeting space in 23 rooms.
45. The Cabanas at Hotel del Coronado—The Hotel del Coronado opened The Cabanas “neighborhood” in late July, part of a master-planned $400 million renovation. The first phase, it includes an updated main pool and 97 guest rooms featuring bespoke nautical furnishings and private balconies or covered terraces with lounge seating and fire features on ground floor—lending to the feeling of a seaside escape.
46. The Inn at the Mission San Juan Capistrano—The Inn at the Mission San Juan Capistrano recently opened in the heart of downtown. A member of Marriott’s Autograph Collection, the 175-room property features two restaurants, a spa and event space. The décor is in keeping with the neighborhood setting and many rooms offer views of the ruins of the Great Stone Church.
47. Alila Marea Beach Resort Encinitas—Alila Marea Beach Resort Encinitas is slated to open in early 2021 with 130 rooms and a stylish, yet artisanal, understated vibe. The resort will be committed to locally inspired programming and also feature an oceanfront pool, spa, signature restaurant showcasing sustainably sourced ingredients, and more than 28,500 sf of indoor-outdoor meeting and event space.
48. AC Hotel Maui Wailea—In true AC fashion, the 98-room, 12-suite AC Hotel Maui Wailea will have an elegant, contemporary design, with many rooms overlooking the Maui coastline. Features include an infinity pool, indoor-outdoor lounge areas and a restaurant featuring European-inspired cuisine. Opening in April and ideal for small groups.
49. Mission Pacific Hotel, San Diego—Opening in March, the 161-room Mission Pacific Hotel, a Joie de Vivre property set on San Diego’s north shore at the base of Oceanside Pier, will have its own permanent art collection and rotate exhibits featuring works by Southern California artists curated by the Oceanside Museum of Art. Add to that a pool, a Roberto Alcocer restaurant overlooking the pier and the only rooftop pool bar in northern San Diego, as well as meeting facilities, and it will be an excellent option for groups.
50. Resorts World Las Vegas—Resorts World Las Vegas is the first new resort to open on the Vegas Strip in 11 years. The property, which is expected to open later this year, will offer groups 350,000 sf of flexible, technology-driven meeting space within six ballrooms, a 100,000-sf pillar-less Events Center, and outdoor breakout spaces. In addition, there will also be a 5,000-person theater that can accommodate large general sessions and meetings.T his 3,500-guest room and -suite property, located across from the Las Vegas Convention Center Expansion, offers attendees an array of options to unwind after a busy day including 117,000-sf gaming floor, an array of restaurants including a Michelin-star venues, nightlife entertainment, and retail, plus a 27,000-sf spa, and a 5.5-acre pool complex with views of the Las Vegas Strip.
Michelle Marie Arean contributed to this piece.